Wednesday, January 8, 2014

First Foods

We got here on Sunday evening and went to dinner at Hope, a local Chinese restaurant. Thats right! Chinese on the island. There are lots of Chinese immigrants (the island sold their UN vote to China or something...) and that means there is lots of yummy Chinese food. "Hope" was Andy's favorite last semester. Its close to campus, the family is kind, and the food is authentically well done.

On Monday afternoon we went grocery shopping and went to The Shacks for lunch. The Shacks are small food shacks lining a really cool little alleyway next to the main gate of campus. They are colorful and host all sorts of things from smoothies to veggie burgers. Each of the connotations we have with food words are slightly different here. Still tasty... just different. We got veggie burgers at Healthy Shack #4...or is it 5? We took sandwiches and groceries home and ate lunch on our roof.

Unfortunately, the day took a turn for the worse and I got food poisoning! It was horrible as only food poisoning can be but I'm regaining strength even as I write. Obviously food was on hold for Tuesday and Wednesday-ish for me so I'll share more adventures as they come. The food poisoning was probably from the greens on the veggie sandwich but since Andy ate there almost everyday last semester, I definitely be eating another one soon.

This is HOPE restaurant. No, not the white fence on the left.... the lean-to shack back there! The only sign is actually on that shipping container - red painted letters that say "HOPE." 

Our first meal at Hope Chinese Restaurant. 
The Shacks!
I'll get used to it at some point but the money reminds me of Monopoly money. 
All about healthy. 
Andy really was happy here, I promise. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment