Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Morning Structure

Each morning Andy and I wake up for coffee and oatmeal or eggs. Warming up his brain for the daily study grind, he watches a study video and I read. The mornings are cool now, as it is winter here, and the rains blow in and out through the early hours.

I'm easing into island life and settling into this as my home. Our first home. The structures of my days are still settling into place. But the mornings are a breath of fresh structure among the seeming waves of change. I love change and fear monotony but a healthy amount of structure is life-giving. 

So, each morning, after eating and reading, I walk Andy to class. The walk includes a steep uphill and is just long enough that going back and forth wouldn't be optimal. I am still trying not to forget all of the things I want to bring with me on this trek. The sun and rain are both rather forceful here and like to make their presence known. So, I drink a lot of water, wear sunscreen and sunglasses, and carry a raincoat. We have 7 large water bottles that I take to the "well" (ie. fill up on campus) when empty.

The average morning walk includes the following images of my "travel" items and a few things I walk passed each day (and a philosophical musing thrown into the photo comments).

If you can, zoom in on the money... thats really what it looks like!
They just decided to include everything related to the Caribbean on each bill.  

Our neighbor's beautiful hung laundry.
Hers is definitely some of the more beautiful laundry I see hanging.
"Laundry?! Seriously?" You might be thinking...
Its hung with such care and precision, maximizing space, hanging by shape and size and color.
The contrast of clean white flapping fabric to the dirty heavy concrete and piles of dirt is a beautiful thing for the eye to rest upon. 

The tile at the bottom of our stairs. Assorted colors, textures, and shapes cemented together. 
The "Fun House"... I think I would be dizzy everyday if I lived here. 

So many colors everywhere... this one is like a burst of flames on the corner near some trash. 

Piles of ... treasure ... are in strategic locations. I've gotten some great things... more on that later. 

Construction of a new building. The sapling use fascinated me.

2 comments: