Monday, February 3, 2014

A Beach is a Beach.


Or is it?

Calibishie is on the northern coast of Dominica where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean. Because of this the waves are larger and the swells are greater. Like most places on Dominica, the little town is rustic, colorful, and wild. Calibishie is a little different though. If you are paying close attention you will notice that the town has a lot of fresh paint...well, at least more than some of the other towns. Why?

Pirates of the Caribbean tourists.

Just down the road (kind of) you will find "Number One Beach." This is the beach where they filmed  Pirates 2 and 3. That said, don't start imagining white Caribbean beaches with lounge chairs, bars, and steel drums. Dominica and especially these little towns are extremely remote. The bits of tourism and fame that have touched the island only draw the most adventurous of travelers who don't mind the Nature Island's wild ways.

My lovely new British friend and I walked to the nearest town, caught a local van taxi thing, smashed into the 15-passenger vehicle with 22 others, and rode the eye-widening 45 minute drive to Calibishie. We stopped for a treat at the Buttercup Bakery and then proceeded on our beach touring adventure: Calibishie beach, Number One beach, a secluded no-name beach, and Batibou beach. Normally, when someone says "going to the beach" I have a general idea of what that means. I've been to various beaches from Ireland to Maine to Minnesota to California to Maryland. But here? Going to the beach is synonymous with going on a hike and going on an adventure. Carrying a chair, towel, sand castle tools, and a good book is NOT the general idea. There is no parking lot, the rains come in droves and leave just as quickly, and you have to watch for coconuts falling on your head. Cultural definition shift!

I'll let the visuals tell you the rest.







Not sure why I'm standing as though I conquered this pile of coconuts... I had nothing to do with their demise, unfortunately. 
Palm roots exposed. 


A drawn map... Not sure if we followed it.

We grabbed a coconut here and broke it open (along with our fingers) on the concrete. It was SOOO yummy and worth the pain! 

My new ride?
I found mushrooms! I did not smoke or eat them. 
Valley of dry bones... 

I think sprouted coconuts are some of the silliest looking things around. 
They have so much personality! 
Huge bone-looking drift wood. 
A low tunnel going through to the other side created a 'blow hole' of sorts. See video. 

A sperm whale bone from a whale that washed up on shore. 
The locals picked it apart pretty quickly and buried the rest. 

Even the crabs get in on the color. Not so crabby here. 

And then it was time to go home... 
Home?


2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah! I am really enjoying this new blog of yours because it is reminding me of when I lived in Puerto Rico... I recognize so many things, it feels like reading a story from an old home! Loved the colors there too! Hope you continue to enjoy it! --Abby (Barr) Buchanan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thats awesome, Abby! Thanks for reading and I'm so glad it brings you some joy!

    ReplyDelete