Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Visual Post: A Few Fruit and Veggie Explorations

PLANTAINS
Stuffed plantain - with salted cod, oil, parsley, onion, and some other herbs.


GRAPEFRUIT
Yellow grapefruit - much sweeter than the pink. 

SWEET POTATO
Confusing root veggie... all root veggies are called "Provisions" here. And there are a TON of provisions. I haven't even tried them all yet. 
Apparently this is a "sweet potato"

SWEETSOP
Sweet sop. Not my favorite sop. 

 GUAVA
Guava. 

Guava. LOVE.

 BREADFRUIT
Breadfruit. 


Breadfruit Chips! 



EGGPLANTS
Local eggplants




Coated them with herbs and cornmeal and baked them to perfection. Eggplant fries! 

CUSTARD APPLE
I found this "custard apple" sitting at Betsy's produce stall today. I was intrigued as she described it as a sweet fruit with a custard consistency. So I bought it, peeled it, squeezed/picked the seeds out, and mooshed it around with a fork. I added a bit of nutmeg and dash of salt and put it in the freezer. Custard apple ice cream? We'll see! 



1 comment:

  1. How were the eggplant fries and custard?? I want to try some of these recipes. We have the same foods in abundance here in Egypt!

    ReplyDelete